Tamarisk Country Club
Job Title: Food and Beverage Director
Department: Food and Beverage
Reports to: Clubhouse Manager
Status: Regular Full-Time
Date: April 1, 2022
The Food & Beverage Director is responsible for the club’s dining services and all food and beverage service throughout the club. Directly supervises the Food and Beverage Manager, Catering Sales Manager (Members Services Coordinator). Additionally supervises both the Locker Room and Housekeeping Staff. Works closely with the leadership team and the Executive Chef and other Department Leaders. Plans, implements and monitors departmental budgets. Hires, trains and supervises subordinates and applies relevant marketing principles to assure that the wants and needs of club members and guests are consistently exceeded.
- Develops an operating budget for each of the department’s revenue outlets; monitors and takes corrective action as necessary to help assure that budgeted sales and cost goals are attained.
- Assists in developing a capital budget for all necessary food and beverage equipment and recommends facility renovation needs.
- Ensures that adequate accounting procedures are followed and that documentation is reported in an accurate and timely manner.
- Responsible for proper charge procedures, guest check analysis, tip reports, ticket controls and daily sales reports and analysis.
- Manages the department’s long-range staffing needs.
- Assists in recruitment, training, supervision and termination of food and beverage staff.
- Helps plan and approves the organizational chart and staffing and scheduling plans.
- Assures that effective orientation and training for new staff and professional development activities for experienced staff are planned and implemented.
- Monitors employee records to minimize overtime and keep labor costs within budget.
- Assures that all standard operating procedures for revenue and cost control are in place and consistently followed.
- Assures that all applicable club policies and procedures are followed.
- Helps plan and approves external and internal marketing and sales promotion activities for the department’s outlets and special club events.
- Assists in approving menu designs for all outlets, special events and banquet events.
- Establishes quantity and quality output standards for personnel in all positions within the department.
- Ensures all legal requirements are consistently followed, including wage/ hour and federal, state or local laws for food safety and the sale/consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Ensure all energy management, preventive maintenance and other standards are consistently met.
- Ensures that all new employees receive the appropriate safety instructions and training; establishes and enforces all safety policies and procedures including OSHA regulations and ensures that appropriate proof of training is documented to the employees’ personnel files.
- Researches new products and evaluates their cost and profit benefits.
- Monitors purchasing and receiving procedures to ensure proper quantity, quality and price for all purchases.
- Consults daily with the Clubhouse Manager, Executive Chef, Catering Sales Manager and other club administrators to help assure the highest level of member satisfaction at minimum cost.
- Greets guests and oversees actual service on a routine, random basis.
- Helps develop wine lists and wine sales promotion programs.
- Establishes, updates and maintains all written standards and procedures for the department as needed.
- Addresses member and guest complaints and advises the General Manager about appropriate corrective actions taken.
- Serves as an ad hoc member of appropriate club committees.
- Monitors appearance, upkeep and cleanliness of all dining room equipment and facilities.
- Monitors employee dress codes according to policies and procedures.
- Approves applicable product invoices before submitting to the Accounting Department.
- Monitors or manages physical inventory verification and provides updated information to the Accounting Department.
- Responsible for the proper accounting and reconciliation of the point-of-sale and member revenues.
- Maintains records of special events, house counts, food covers and daily business volumes.
- Ensures that an accurate reservation system is in place.
- Assists in approving all entertainment.
- Responsible for long-range planning for the department in concert with the club’s planning process.
- Establishes and maintains professional business relations with vendors.
- Works with the club’s Controller to identify and develop operating reports and for ongoing control of the department.
- Complete periodic china, glass, and silverware inventories.
- Implement and monitor sanitation and cleaning schedules.
- Directs the work of the Housekeeping Department and the Locker Room Department including budget preparation.
- Ensures that all safety and procedural guidelines are adhered to and monitors member satisfaction for Locker Rooms and Housekeeping.
- Coordinates and oversees purchasing for selected departments.
- Completes other appropriate assignments from the Clubhouse Manager.
Frequency Key: Never, Rarely, Occasionally, Frequently, Constantly
Physical Activity Frequency
Pushing/Pulling ( # lbs.) 40 lbs., Occasionally
Vision (near) Constantly
Vision (far) Constantly
Lifting/Carrying (#lbs.) 40 lbs., Constantly
Driving Automobile / Cart Occasionally
Excellent communication skills
Exceptional Leadership skills
Knowledge of service skills
Knowledge of Purchasing requirements
Knowledge of state and local beverage service laws
Ability to read and understand English
Due to the nature of the Club industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the Club.
OSHA and Cal OSHA laws may require the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when performing work duties that have the potential of risk to your health and safety.
- Back support belt, protective gloves and eye protection may be required on some occasions
- Follow all safely policies and procedures
Employees will be trained in the proper use and care of assigned PPE. The Club provides the required PPE. It is your responsibility to report defective and/or damaged or lost PPE, or equipment that does not fit properly, to your supervisor.
All employees are expected to maintain a neat and well-groomed professional appearance in accordance with Tamarisk Country Club standards.